Matisse on PBS!
PBS offers an interactive online activity using Matisse like shapes and collage. Click the picture on the left to go directly to the website.
Memphis Zoo: "Teton Trek"
The Memphis Zoo will be opening a brand new exibit, "Teton Trek" in October 2009. Students are invited to participate in an art contest to design welcoming banners for this exciting exhibit. 1st place in each grade level will have the student’s art, name and school represented in outdoor advertising, provided by Clear Channel outdoor!
Winning artists will be publicly recognized at the opening ceremonies for Teton Trek. The Zoo will display reproductions of winning artwork around the Zoo.
Guidelines: 1. Theme – “Yellowstone: Preserving America’s Wilderness”
2. Open to all K-12 students.
3. Students not enrolled in an art class can submit work but it must be through the student’s school.
4. Can use any media (crayons, markers, paint, etc.)
5. Size requirement for artwork is 8 ½ x 11.
6. Artwork must be oriented vertically (portrait).
7. We cannot accept entries that include other Memphis copyrighted businesses (ex.: Memphis Grizzlies, Elvis Presley, Peabody Ducks, etc.).
8. The Zoo will also be conducting a preliminary competition for students whose schools are not hosting an internal competition, or who are homeschooled. These students may submit work directly to the Zoo (include on your entry label that it's a "self-submission" and the name of your school or "homeschool."
Visit http://memphiszoo.org/artcontest for more information.
Students are encouraged to bring drafts of their designs by the art room after school for Mrs. Christopher's feedback :)
All entries will be due to Mrs. Christopher no later than September 14th.
Download a .pdf of this information and the entry form by clicking here.
All area youth, grades K-12 and adult amateur photographers are invited to enter this year's Celebrate Munford 2009 Photography /Art contest! Young artists simply follow the entry rules below to enter original artwork in the contest. Works will be on display for public viewing in the lobby of Regions Bank during Celebrate Munford on Saturday, September 19th 2009.
Visit http://www.munford.com/celebrateweb/index.php?c=artcontest for more information.
All entries are due to Mrs. Christopher no later than September 16th.
Art Contest Entry Form
What do you think the little boy in this painting is feeling?
The boy's father, Henri Matisse is the artist who created this painting. What do you think Matisse what thinking about when he painted this?
Click on the arrow in the bottom left corner of the painting to hear more about this painting.
Modern Kids: Henri Matisse. The Piano Lesson. 1916
Oil on canvas, 8' 1/2" x 6' 11 3/4" (245.1 x 212.7 cm). Mrs. Simon Guggenheim Fund. © 2008 Succession H. Matisse, Paris / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
Welcome back artists!
We are going to have an exciting year in the Art Room at Atoka Elementary. Please check the Art Room website regularly for information about our featured artist, upcoming art projects and fun online activities.
This quarter, we will be learning about a famous artist; Henri Matisse. We will also learn about using line and shape in our art work.
Take a look at some of these great websites to learn more about the featured artist:
ArtSmart 4 Kids will give you background information about the artist and a few examples of his paintings.
Matisse for Kids: is a super fun interactive website.